All of the bike officers in Ashland are daily practitioners of Community Policing. Our officers work in pairs. The officers ride their bikes as often as possible. Officers work flexible shifts to address problems. There are many benefits from bicycle patrols:
- Officers are out of cars and accessible to public.
- Subjects cannot generally outrun officers on bicycles.
- Officers can approach silently on the specially designed bicycles which makes them excellent for drug "sting" takedowns (stealth).
- Much more ground can be covered on a bicycle patrol than on foot.
- Bicycles can go where cars are unable to go.
- Crowd control.
All bike officers with the Ashland Police Department are certified through the International Police Mountain Bike Association (I.P.M.B.A.). Officers uniforms are dark blue with white reflective letters.